Heard a lot about air pollution recently?
'Millions of deaths around the world are linked to air pollution.'
It can be difficult to see how big statements like this actually affect us in real life, we get that. But it's not a reason to deny that the problem exists. In this case, ignorance is not bliss.
How about these?
- Air pollution is a bigger killer than car accidents and malaria
- It causes lung cancer and heart disease
- Air pollution in cities can be as bad for you as smoking 20 cigarettes a day
- It can make you more likely to develop dementia
- Growing up in dirty air quadruples children's chances of developing depression
- 95% of the world's population breathes unsafe air
We don't want to scare you, we want to educate you, put this stuff into context and ultimately, protect you.
Airhead was created by three of us. We're entrepreneurs, dreamers, best friends, Airheads.
We don't take life too seriously, but we do take pollution seriously.
After years of cycling around London - trudging to and from our old corporate jobs - we well and truly developed our pollution pallet. We realised mouthfuls of hot, bitter, thick air coming from the backend of buses and cars were all too common for commuters.
'Buy yourself a pollution mask', they said, but nothing had been invented that ticked all the boxes for us.
The stakes were raised as we heard more and more scientists were discovering how many people were dying from health problems that were directly related to pollution exposure.
Airhead was born. It was time for us to set about making a mask that would revolutionise the industry. To make a mask that would be loved by people, like ourselves. Imagine:
- Heading into work and feeling completely safe
- Not shortening your life, simply by being outside
- Not feeling self-conscious and embarrassed when people see that you're protected
- Being part of a huge movement; inspiring others to protect themselves too
Work got underway with one of the best product design universities in the country: Brunel University. Airhead also received backing and support from the NatWest Entrepreneur Accelerator.
Chapter 6 (right here, right now)
Product development continues as we work tirelessly to bring you a truly revolutionary mask that's simply the best (credit: Tina T).
We're working with scientists, celebrities and a bucket load of the Airhead community to create something that you will completely love.
As soon as the final designs are ready, we'll launch a pre-sale campaign on Kickstarter. Before that, we want your help and support.
Join our community of Airheads today - a group of people who love exercising, being outdoors and are empowered to protect themselves against pollution.